12 Paymo Alternatives That Are Worth Checking Out
It is true that Paymo is software for small-to-medium creative companies and, in general, service-based enterprises. It is for organizations that are looking to better organize their work, track their time by the minute, collaborate on a single document, and send accurate invoices to their clients.
And yes, you may have heard that they have a reputation in the field. While Paymo is not without weaknesses, as a result of its inherent flaws, "There Is Plenty of Other Fish in The Sea" when it comes to your search for alternatives.
Perhaps you're evaluating an alternative to Paymo to improve your timekeeping and team management, and you happened to stumble across this page.
In this article, you will discover the 12 best Paymo alternatives that can replace your current system in your organization with better performance and reliability.
A Project Management tool primarily used by creative agencies, Paymo offers services to law firms, consultants, universities, and others. Some of their most popular features include:
- A visual sales pipeline helps you stay on top of the complex sales process.
- The software can be customized to fit any business or sales process
- Project Management, HR Management, and Customer Relationship Management - all in one place.
- A mobile app that helps the team stay updated while traveling.
- Manage contacts with the app.
In a nutshell, Paymo allows you to create tasks, subdivide them into more specific ones, schedule them, and monitor project progress. You can also track projects using the software after they are set up, ensuring they are done on time.
Paymo may be useful if you manage various projects, but other management tools in the market can achieve the same goal – and even exceed them. Though Paymo works well for time tracking and team scheduling, it might not be everyone's cup of tea because of issues such as the slow and complex interface.
Like many others, Paymo market itself as an online collaboration tool that enables team members to collaborate on various tasks. But that doesn’t mean that the tool meets everyone’s needs and expectations.
Some of the most common hurdles with the tool, according to current and past users, include:
#1 Invoicing capabilities aren't as smooth as they could be
The Paymo app is often updated with new features, but they haven't mastered invoicing to the extent of other competitors. Or others might mention that the invoicing module is a little bit too complicated.
#2 Complex UI
It doesn't take much effort to find user reviews complaining about Paymo’s interface and it's difficult to log idle time correctly – resulting in frustrations and wasted time.
Additionally, many say that the software is time-consuming to use when it comes to analyzing data and ensuring that workflows are fully functional. Because of its complexity, the learning curve can be quite steep for users who aren’t tech-savvy users, slowing down processes.
#3 The planning process is disorganized
When new updates are released, the platform sometimes has small discrepancies affecting its organization and planning. The scheduling platform sometimes seems unmanageable, and customers have difficulty working with it.
We have discussed the main reasons why we might want to find a Paymo alternative. Let's explore our list of the best alternatives, including prices, features, and more.
The multi-purpose project management software, Rodeo, is not just a tool for business owners to manage projects. It is also a tool that helps businesses to aspire to new heights.
More than just a project management tool, Rodeo help teams streamline scattered workflows by offering a single platform for all project-related activities. It’s a powerhouse software with a convenient, intuitive interface that gives your business a competitive edge.
By streamlining work processes and improving productivity, Rodeo's built-in features have earned it a reputation for making users' lives easier and more convenient.
For example, while Paymo offers a limited selection of features, Rodeo offers a full range of features to support a project throughout its entire lifecycle.
What makes Rodeo special? Let’s look at some features that make it a preferred tool compared to Paymo:
Invoicing made simple
Rodeo's invoicing feature makes the process of creating–and sending–invoices very easy. This is due to Rodeo's integration with your company's administrative software. You can submit it in three different formats: a UBL, a PDF, and a hard copy. Repeated invoices can be sent out weekly, monthly, or annually. It couldn't be easier!
Using the UI is a piece of cake
Rodeo’s interface is fairly easy to learn and navigate through, even if you aren’t that tech-savvy. Free initial onboarding is also offered for new customers to help you not just get it set up but also offer tips and tricks to make your workflow more efficient. You also get assigned to an expert that will be your main point of contact for questions and a more personalized experience.
If support is a must-have on your list, you will love to know that a team is available via live chat to help with any questions you might have.
Tracking time in Rodeo
Instead of relying on third-party tool integrations, Rodeo has its own built-in time-tracking feature, allowing users to log their time worked against the budgeted amount for that time activity, in order to avoid overspending as much as possible.
You can easily create a task list, where each task is attached to a budgeted time activity and given an expected duration. This gives you the means to keep your budgeted amounts on point, prevents things from falling through the cracks, and ensures you always know where you stand on the project roadmap.
Customized budgeting at your service
Whenever you build a new project, you can ensure favorable profit margins on all of your related expenses thanks to how Rodeo incorporates expenses into the budget. As demonstrated in the following picture, the budgeting feature of Rodeo is geared toward helping project managers calculate the costs and plan time activities, and to allocate resources before launching the project.
Powerhouse organized reports feature
The report feature in Rodeo ensures you have the ability to organize and create the reports you need, which is why it is a cutting-edge tool. Keeping in mind that you will have the ability to track the progress of projects, employee productivity, time spent on projects, and other important data will make Rodeo a great fit for you.
All you do is click on the Reports tab which gives you the following options to choose from:
- Work in Progress: By clicking on this section, you will be able to see a detailed record of all the scheduled, in-progress, and finalized work that you have done on your project, it's that simple.
- Time Registration: When you click on the 'time registration' button, you will be able to view a report of the hours you logged for your projects.
- Closed Projects: If you click here, you will be able to see a detailed report and summary of all your closed projects of all of your closed projects.
- Employee Productivity: Would you like to get a clear analysis of your tracked direct and indirect hours on a project? Please click here to view a detailed breakdown.
- Estimates: This feature is great to send a quote estimate to a client. In just a few clicks, create and send an estimate straight from your project budget.
- Expenses & POs: Perfect for tracking expenses associated with a project or for organizations that handle purchase orders.
- Integration of Quickbooks (US) with Xero (UK): To help with your billing and bookkeeping.
- Built-in messenger: Rodeo's messenger help teams communicate live as they work.
What is this tool for?
Regarding project management, it could be said that Rodeo is the "jack of all trades." This is because software like this helps you plan your budgets and your estimates, track your time, organize your invoices, and produce reports that will help you visualize your findings.
Peter Rogers, managing director of BAIT Studio, explains that a time tracking function was extremely beneficial: "Obviously, the planner is convenient for keeping track of when jobs come in, where we stand in the process, and who’s working on what. Even things like time tracking feel very unintrusive, so all the artists have no problem sticking to doing it. When discovering they forgot to set the timer, they can just add the time later.”
Full custom story: BAIT Studio Cuts 50% Project Management Tool Costs With Rodeo
If you are part of a creative team or industry, you will find this device super helpful when it comes to needing something like an all-in-one project management software. This device can help you get rid of scattered workflows because you’ll have access to just one platform for all activities.
Rodeo's intuitive tool keeps your team in sync, providing you with a framework that ensures your business will succeed. It's a tool designed to make each project more profitable by optimizing workflow.
When it comes to pricing, Rodeo offers plans that help support small and large businesses alike starting at $29.99 a month for a full user license. This gives you access to all of Rodeo's features — excluding Planning and Tasks, which is an add-on for $4.99 per user/month.
Then, you can add as many additional users as needed based on the level of access you want to give them:
- Full user license (project manager): $14.99 per user/month includes access to all features.
- Standard user licenses (creatives): can track time, view a dashboard, and see assigned tasks for $8.99 per user/month.
Image source: Basecamp
What's the scoop on Basecamp? Developed for teams of all sizes, including freelancers and SMBs as well as large corporations, they offer project management, team communication, and daily work tracking applications.
Are Basecamp's advantages superior to Paymo's? The most significant difference between Basecamp and Paymo is that Basecamp has some extra features that Paymo does not have, such as deadline management, discussion forums, and the ability to create subtasks.
- Transmit a file.
- Live chat functionality.
- Tracking time spent on each project.
- Group discussions.
- Event planning.
$11 per user/month, which includes unlimited projects and 500GB of storage space.
Image source: Wrike
This may or may not be attractive to you if you want a well-known brand like Wrike, which has established itself in the market. It is a favorite of many project managers spanning multiple industries, and a great alternative to Paymo.
Using this software, project management activities can be performed. However, with a minimal interface and a rich set of features, it is impossible to be impressed by the application. Wrike's downside is that it can be a little difficult to navigate. It is not an easy task to get to grips with the three-pane interface of the shareable dashboards, even though they have a three-pane view.
- Live news feed
- Discussions in tasks are included in team collaboration channels.
- Planning and management of meetings.
- Workload management and document collaboration.
- Project and task management features.
- Free plan for teams, up to 5 users, and includes centralized task management.
- For $9.80 per user/month, you get the Professional plan which is for fast-growing teams and includes project planning and team collaboration.
- For $24.80 per user/month, they offer a Business plan for all teams across an organization that is tailored to any team or use case.
- Additionally, Wrike offers an Enterprise plan and pricing can be requested on their website.
Image source: TimeCamp
With TimeCamp, the team gets all the data they need to analyze the project's performance and ensure it stays on track. It offers clear graphics and gives you a nice time-track view. However, this application is relatively new, so there is not much to go on.
Unless you need something like absence analysis or computer usage tracking, Paymo is not the solution for you. That's because they do not provide any of those features whatsoever. Also, TimeCamp's detailed reports are superior to Paymo and offer some exciting functionalities that Paymo does not have, such as computer usage, tracking, and timeline.
- The desktop application is brand new.
- There is a mobile web app version as well.
- Staff management modules, including vacation management and sick leave management.
- Create invoices based on accurate timesheets and send them to customers and stakeholders.
- Free forever plan.
- The basic plan costs $6.30 per user/month.
- The Pro plan costs $9 per user/month.
Image source: Airtable
Airtable stands out from the other Paymo alternatives for its entirely different approach. The tool is more like a database management hybrid, which lets you customize workflows to fit your needs.
You can create database workflows for just about anything, such as tasks, ideas, financial information, etc. Aside from this, the program does not include features such as time-tracking, which requires added software.
Also, Paymo does not cater to large enterprises at this time but Airtable does.
Read also: 15 Airtable Alternatives to Consider in 2022
- Fields can be customized to fit your needs.
- Records can be filtered, sorted, and rearranged.
- It is possible to customize the views that you see.
- Tables should be linked to each other.
- Database functionality for relational databases.
- A free version with limited features is available for up to five users.
- Their Plus plan offers more comprehensive features for $10 per user/month.
- If your workflows are important for your process then you should be looking at their Pro plan which is $20 per user/month.
- For enterprise plans, contact Airtable for a quote.
Image source: Harvest
Harvest is a very reliable alternative if you want to help your team spend time wisely, but so do other solutions on the list. In a nutshell, this software is known for providing users with a convenient way to track their time, analyze data from previous assignments, as well as to get paid for their efforts.
Harvest has a larger ecosystem of integration when compared to Paymo, but that's because the tool is mostly focused on time tracking and relying on third-party tools for the nitty-gritty of project management.
- You can track your time from your browser, desktop, and mobile device.
- Workflow integration and time capture.
- Consistent time tracking through custom reminders.
- Offers a free-forever plan.
- Pro plan offered for $12.00 per user/month.
Image source: Scoro
Scoro provides professional and creative services through software as a service. With this all-in-one business management software, you can manage your projects, time, bills, and teams.
How does it compare to Paymo? Scoro starts by offering unique features like idea management and issue management. The software also offers a cost-to-completion tracking feature not available in Paymo.
- Providing fast and efficient service.
- Product planning.
- Tracking and organizing employee responsibilities.
- Billing made easy.
Tracking orders streamlined.
- The essential plan costs $26 per user/month.
- The standard plan costs $37 per user/month.
- It costs $63 per user/month for the Pro plan.
- Pricing for the Ultimate Plan must be arranged with Scoro.
Image source: Trello
Trello is reasonably productive software that has a Kanban board application that's perfect for tracking, organizing, and coordinating different work activities, as the software moves along various groups of people. How do Paymo and Trello compare? As we all know, companies today require the best Project Management Software in order to remain competitive.
With tons of additional features that Paymo lacks, such as easy file and attachment uploading, Trello has that head start. Besides, Trello is a Kanban board application that records, organizes, and coordinates different work activities as it moves along various teams of people.
- Live news feed.
- Arrangement of the workflow by drag and drop.
- Comments and team collaboration.
- The ability to edit in-line.
- A progress meter is provided for checklists.
- Trello offers a free plan that includes unlimited cards, up to 10 boards, and Power-Ups.
- They have a standard plan that is $6.00 per user/month.
- The Premium plan costs $10.00 per user/month.
Image source: GanttPRO
The software offers an easy-to-use interface and a short learning curve. New team members can be onboarded within 15 minutes, making the tool a perfect fit for businesses of all sizes. Rather than wasting time explaining how everything works, you will jump straight into project management.
In the event that GanttPRO and Paymo go head-to-head, what will prevail? Compared to other alternatives, GanttPRO comes out swinging hard with a drag-and-drop user-friendly interface that is easy to use and automated scheduling along with the ability to import tasks.
- Gantt chart view, Board view, and My task list view.
- A powerful task management system that comes with a wide range of features.
- Deadline management.
- Collaboration tools for teams with comments, attachments, mentions, and notifications.
- Templates for Gantt charts.
- The Basic plan starts at $7.99 per user/month.
- The Pro plan starts at 12.00 per user/month.
- The Business plan starts at $19.99 per user/month.
- Contact their team for the Enterprise plan pricing.
Image source: Asana
Asana is another competitor in the market and a good alternative to Paymo. A well-known contender in the project management world. It is a work management software whose primary strength lies in its flexibility.
If Paymo is not an option, Asana has an embedded template library built into it that enables teams to set up for any possible project very quickly. That way, they won't have to start from scratch on every project because they can use pre-existing templates.
This function is not developed by Paymo, nor do they have a calendar sync that allows their system to share information between different digital calendars.
- Managing to-do lists and assigning tasks to individuals.
- Work progress can be visualized using Kanban boards.
- Manage deadlines and priorities.
- Ready-to-use project templates.
- Scheduling tasks over time.
- Asana offers a premium monthly plan for $10.99 per user when billed annually.
- Asana's Business plan costs $24.99 per user/month, billed annually.
- Upon request, Asana offers an Enterprise plan as well.
Image source: SeaTable
It's essential that your tasks, assets, ideas, and projects are in one place. That is what SeaTable can help you do. It can organize any type of information in the cloud or on your own server.
SeaTable can also be used to collaborate with your team and your users. Despite not being as famous as Paymo, the software still has some advantages.
For instance, for Paymo, every file is securely stored in the cloud, whereas with SeaTable it is offered on the cloud but can also be installed and accessed locally giving you more options for privacy and access.
- Tables and bases allow you to organize everything in one place.
- Views for color highlighting and authorizations.
- Easy access to share your work with others.
- Visualize your work with a calendar, Kanban, and timeline.
- The plus plan is €7 per user/month or roughly $7.30 US dollars.
- The enterprise plan is €14 per user/month or roughly 14.63 US dollars
- Upon request, SeaTable offers a dedicated cloud plan as well.
Image source: Zoho Projects
You can use Zoho Projects to plan tasks, collaborate with colleagues and clients, manage your documents, generate charts, and track time with its rich communications features and time-management tools.
The software also has a decent project planning tool, so no tasks slip through the cracks.
In contrast to Paymo, it has a feature referred to as Mass Update that allows users (ADMIN or SYSADMIN) to modify one or more fields in a set of records. Also, it provides other functions that Paymo does not, such as planning tools and progress reports for your projects.
- Tools that help you manage your time.
- The monthly cost is reasonable.
- Communication features.
- Reports that are detailed.
- Have a free plan for up to three users.
- The Premium plan is $5 per user/month for up to 50 users.
- The Enterprise plan costs $10 per user/month.
You can see from the list above that there are quite a few options to select from if you are looking for Paymo alternatives that are worth checking out.
Paymo is undeniably an excellent project management solution for small and medium businesses. However, is it the right solution for your business?
Having reviewed the features, price, and ease of use of these products, you can make an informed decision based on what is best for your organization.
Be sure to also check out Rodeo if you have not yet done so. Sign-up for a free trial.